Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength - Phil 4:13

Sunday, October 05, 2014

The journey that ended with my 21k experience...or maybe it has just begun

It was with great trepidation that I woke up at 2:56am Sunday morning on Oct 5, 2014 to get ready for our 4am race. I had prayed and asked that no matter what the pace, I just want to end it strong. To me there's nothing worse than a poor time accompanied by the feeling of defeat on what will not be a PR race for me

After encountering some minor traffic en-route (at 3:30am?!?!?), we got to the run safely and walked to the starting point just as the gun start sounded. With the throngs of runners, we ended up waiting with the 2nd wave of runners for another 5 minutes or so. And off we went.

David and I already agreed not to run together as he goes out fast but burns out at times. I need to be steady as I definitely burn out if I start all out.

I had eaten and hydrated the past 2 days. Thankfully the relatively flat route and sheer number of people kept me to my plan which was to run relatively easy on the first part then see how I feel for the last 6km or so and take it from there. After a slow start (why would people join a 21km run and walk at the start? Seems a particularly torturous way to spend your sleeping hours), I gradually settled at a pace that was more or less within my expectations: 6:50 min/km.

Honestly I started with a lot of negative thoughts:
"At this rate, I'd be running another 2 hours...why did I sign up?"
"I definitely cannot do another 42km. And also not a 21km anymore too any time soon"
"This is dark and it is boring to spend time like this. I cannot see the road"
"How slow am I? Oh no only 3km,  I have 5x more the distance to go!"

And so it went. Very unproductive. I decided to choose to ignore it and focus on my music and other things preoccupy me...such as the other runners and praying. Besides every step forward is a step closer to the finish. Just had to keep stepping till I got there. One never knows how a race will turn out until you're actually there running it. Even the pace is hard to predict as it depends on how good or bad you feel. I wasn't fast and I just prayed I would last!

When I reached 14km or so, I felt like I was exerting the same effort but I actually speeded up. In the end, I ran the last 6km at 6:20-6:30min/km pace. I kept looking at my Garmin watch and thinking "Oh look I'm maintaining it...still going strong". I couldn't believe it. I was much stronger than I thought I'd be. I had expected with the lack of serious training to tire out and slow right down and walk. I know it is God's way of revealing himself to me:  an answer to a request.

I finished the race 2:23. It is on par with some of my slowest race times but I am truly happy. Happy enough to be on a mini high and consider doing another half. Still not a full mary though.

 Dave and I were on par with each other till he pulled away around 8km. He was a happy guy that day. Despite only running as far as 13km, he finished strong ahead of me.


This is the best pace I've managed for the distance since I started this 12 week journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment