Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength - Phil 4:13

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Long run or full marathon???

With my sister down with a bad viral bug for the week, I decided to sign up for Subaru full marathon instead of the half to do my final 35km run (we initially planned to run 14k together then join the 21k)


The Resolve: 
I need to be disciplined and not burn out now so I will stop at 35km and either taxi it or walk the rest of the 7k to finish. 

What happened:
The run started at 2am so I needed to be up at 12;30 midnight to get ready! So with 2 hours nap/sleep, I hitched with my brother and set off to MOA. It was a small race. The sight of women marathoners here in the Philippines always surprises me...they are small but definitely growing in numbers. 

We started at 2am on the dot. It was humid and I truly appreciated the water and Gatorade stations that came every 2km or sooner. I had 4 Gu's and consumed them all by 30k. I started out well and strong, maintaining what felt like a steady pace till 28-29k. The parts where cars were next to the race path speeded me up - pollution has that effect on me as I imagine funes making its way into my lungs. I passed so many runners at some stage I ended up 3rd for women! 

The Dilemma
Should I just run the whole thing and try for the apparently achievable cash prize and relax the Portland? At 28k it definitely looked doable. What to do???

The Decision (...was made for me):  
Alas at around 29-30k, the periodic foot cramps became more regular and I had to stop several times to walk to keep them at bay. That combined with the fact that we were heading towards the Kalayaan flyover to St Lukes Global around 32k cemented it. From there I could run 3km home rather than suffer thru 7-9km of walking with cramps. I didn't trust myself not to attempt to run it to hasten the end of the ordeal. It would take over an hour involving going back to those polluted traffic paths under the sun for which I had no sunscreen. Part of me regretted it as I ran along the bridge and a runner coming the opposite direction told me I was running strong (I must look strong even if cramping and indecisive inside!). But another part of me welcomed the prospect of upcoming rest.

So at the bottom of the flyover instead of turning around I told the officials there I was cramping and will run home instead. A motor bike chased me to get my bib (good organization there so no 'missing' runners!). Cramps were really setting in and as I ran on the side walk my foot cramped and my legs literally crumpled beneath me. I couldn't get back up! Cramps caused both legs to curl up and it took a while to stand. During this time, 2 recreational runners passed by and didn't bother stopping! I was shocked at their non-reaction. My watch said I had run exactly 4 hours for 34k (definitely not one of my better times). 

The End:
I wanted to finish the 35k and attempted to run again but I felt unstable. As cramps threatened to set on again after a mere 50m, I decided it was crazy to get worked up for less than 1kn so I will call it a day and tried to call Dave to get me. But my iPhone wouldn't do what I wanted - I was drenched and my iPhone was wet so it wouldn't swipe or dial. Good thing someone up there was looking out for me as when I really looked for a taxi, I finally noticed a taxi idling right next to me. I didn't hesitate. I got in and went home. 

Taper time.

PS. It's nice to be all done by 6am. I later found out Dennis didn't finish till 8:40am and I was doubly relieved I didn't go back to wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment