I am automatically up at 5am on the dot on a Saturday. My body thinks it should run but my mind knows it needs to rest and get ready for Sunday's planned 35k run. Runners in training seem to be determined to follow the training program regardless of condition...in my case, it's 4x a week runs and covering around 70k at the peak week. But today I am determined to exercise MIND CONTROL and listen to logic. I will eat up and rest up.
It's been a very interesting week for me in terms of exercise. Dave signed us both up for thrice a week swimming lessons that started Monday. What I thought would be a lot of technique coaching actually ended up as very little coaching and a lot of drills in the form of laps. I haven't swum for years but I do know how to swim and it seems once you learn you never forget. My swimming is mostly self taught guided by a few lifeguards in my teen years and a handful of lessons years back. It was the very first form of exercise I got into back when I was 12. Along with walking some hilly paths in Taiwan, I lost 9kg over one summer as I resolved to lose weight and stop being an obese person before it was too late.
Initially skeptical and worried that I start on the peak week of training runs, I was honestly there to keep my husband company. It turned out to be a very welcome respite from my runs. Despite completing 80 25m laps last night (and around 70 laps on Wednesday), I am not sore or tired. Swimming feels like an old friend I've returned to and I can just keep going. The fact that it is at 6.30-8.00pm 3x a week means I eat in the afternoon so I don't eat dinner after. This had better be good for my weight...I don't know as my scales are still broken but clothes fit better! I have this pair of Old Navy shorts that I use as my gauge...whilst I was bulging in it some weeks back, I can now expand my tummy as far as I can and still not bulge. Yeay!
This is my week so far:
Monday - swim
Tuesday - 8k run at 6.18min/km pace and yoga
Wednesday - swim
Thursday - 13k run at 6.45min/km pace
Friday - swim
Saturday - REST
Sunday - planned 35k run
It'll be interesting to see how Portland turns out. I have not had very tight muscles this time round. Usually I need to get professional massages/shockwave therapy by now. I do know that I can't get my speed up and my normal pace seems to have slowed down by 15-20 seconds. I will have to be of a MIND SET to run slower and not conk out before I finish the 42k because I think I need to be at a certain pace.
No comments:
Post a Comment