Today I decided to go out and run for 2 hours to see where and how long it took me.
Mentally I was thinking I can go easy and complete 17km in 2 hours and see if I can better that next weekend. Well!!! I started just fine with an easy run from my place to Fort. Because I'm still jetlagged and awake at 3-4am, I was out the gate by 5.40am and decided to run down McKinley Rd (against the traffic and on the sidewalks!) towards the Fort.
The first hour was manageable roving around the Fort and even joining part of the Energen race course. I even finished 8.5km at 58min+ and decided to walk it till I reached an hour as a break treat. At this point, I was headed back into the Forbes Park village where it would be downhill for a kilometer or so...little did I know that my stamina would also go downhill from there.
In short, the 2nd hour was running interspersed with walk breaks, dragging feet and water breaks (ALL the water breaks were in the 2nd half). The only thing that kept me going was the thought that I must be reaching into my fat stores by then. That and the fact that I was really glad I didn't join the All Women 21km race as I would definitely have a terrible time with my current fitness level.
At the end, I reached 16.9km in 2 hours or 17km in 2.00.59. My predicted 'easy' run felt like the last 7km of a full fledged marathon by the time I finished! Let's see where I will be in my next 2 hour run scheduled next weekend!
I must say this has been my longest run since running the HK marathon last February 16. I almost forgot the feeling of tired, achy accomplishment that comes after. Welcome back, old friend!

No comments:
Post a Comment