Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength - Phil 4:13

Friday, August 08, 2014

Week 3 Day 6 20km run!!! (Saturday August 9 2014)

It's been a while but it was nice to step outside at 5am and find the sun isn't even out yet. That unexpected feeling of nostalgia for my former training run days when I'd step out at 3am was unexpected. I always thought I was over and burnt out with the long runs.

Today, I've scheduled a 20km run with my brother's running group. And after yesterday's rest, I was so ready for it.  I don't know why but all my rest days end up as license-to-eat days.  I have a very hearty appetite on the days I don't exercise and basically none when I run long or hard.  Did I subconsciously train my body to treat it as taper before a marathon where you just eat as much as you can to make your endurance last?  I wonder! I made an effort to be smart with my food choices but the quantity was not as controlled. I was looking forward to working off yesterday's food.

Here are my pointers on what to do or not to do when going for a longish run (and what I actually did):
1.  Get enough sleep (I had 5 hours due to a party the night before)
2.  Wake up in time to eat a snack (I skipped this to catch up on point 1)
3.  Stay hydrated with sports endurance drink (I left the house without drinking either but I had my hydration belt full of ice that will later melt into WATER)
4. Eat well the day before (Tick, tick, tick!!! Definitely did due to party. And this is why I didn't feel the need to follow point 2 above)
5. Bring Gu (forgot and also refer to 4)
6. Protect against sun (brought a bottle of sunscreen that fit in my belt but forgot my cap)
7. Protect against chafing (I did but not enough...welcome back chafe marks!  I dithered afterwards before showering just totally dreading the shower sting)
8. Have inspirational, boredom-beating music (had my daughter download my current fave but I forgot to charge my Shuffle so it died before my run ended).  By the way, I super love this movie soundtrack:



Since I was running around the neighborhood, my preparations (or lack of) was not a big deal. It gave us an excuse to duck in the house every now and then to top up on water or Gatorade!

My 20km run consisted of running 2km each way to and from my brother's house to meet up with the group, and running his village perimeter 6 times (2.75km per round)...literally running in circles. After the initial rush to meet up (I was late), I ran the next 6km wondering why my pace was so sluggish and legs dragged. Went inside my brother's house where I drank Gatorade and got Gu to keep in case I needed it later. When we resumed, I felt better. Either the Gatorade fixed me or I just needed a quick break!

After that initial glitch, I was able to run the rest feeling strong and steady with negative splits (pre and post Gatorade!).  I didn't even need the security-blanket Gu (but I appreciated it along with the cap I was lent when the sun came out).  It also felt like I could run more but I didn't want to push it and suffer tomorrow.


Conclusion:  The rest day gave my body time to recharge and restart.  Also, I must absolutely excel in preparatory eating during the lead up - it certainly wasn't the sleep that did it!  I am now really dreading the weighing and measure session that is due tomorrow.

On a happier note, I was struggling beyond 6km when I started less than 3 weeks ago.  I NEVER thought I'd be able to run a 20km and still feel fine so soon.

Week 3 is almost done and I'm definitely makimg some progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment