I woke up at 5.20am this morning determined to get out my planned 12-15km run before work. I had even finished my morning prayer time the night before in order to meet my other resolve not to miss that daily commitment to God this week. I had less than 5 hours sleep but I just KNOW I wouldn't run if I left it till after work again.
It was 6:10am by the time I left the house. I give myself the first 1-2km before my legs start to feel normal and it was true to form today. Went back to my brother's village - the 2.75km loop allows me to know what to expect and know when to power up or ease off. After just under an hour of running, I popped into their house for a drink - local Vitwater Apple flavor this time over Gatorade.
Once upon a time circa 2008-10, this particular beverage used to be my go-to drink just before a race or hard training runs. And only the red one for POWER-UP not the others. The yellow one claims to 'cleanse' - I didn't want any unwelcome toilet stops so I didn't go for this. The pink was to 'trim' - but this may burn up my energy stores leaving me with nothing for the run. Therein lies the irony: if I drink the pink I burn more and theoretically get thinner. But I will be theoretically spent and miserable for the entire run. Without fail, I choose strong over miserable.
I stopped when the manufacturer reformulated the drink, taking off the sugar and giving it a chemical sweetener after-taste. But it didn't seem so bad today - either they reformulated again or I was really thirsty. Apparently my running brother thought so too and stocked up. I will too.
Vitwater or the break or both worked. I resumed the run after 10 minutes of chatting to my folks and felt re-energized, as though I hadn't run almost 9km before then. Finished off the 14km at 1 hour 33 minutes or 6:38 minutes/km pace. Not including the break of course. I must minimize these breaks gradually. For now I am just grateful I can cover the distance and burn the calories without wilting afterwards. Work still lies ahead!
The rest of the day will be spent at work watching my food and resuming my daily Herbalife shake. I need to stay focused on the upcoming end of week review! Better have some results!
Oh yeah...that community clean up drive yesterday? Dave is in today's paper!

No comments:
Post a Comment